What is an EDI 214 Transportation Carrier Shipment Status Message?
This document is used to provide details related to the shipment status. This transaction set is generally sent by freight carriers, such as trucking companies, to the shippers. The information in an EDI 214 must match other EDI documents, including the EDI 850 and the EDI 211. The data contents of an EDI 214 include the following:
- Origin and destination of the shipment.
- PO number.
- Expected delivery.
- Details of transporter, receiver, and sender.
- Proof of delivery.
- Shipment details.
- Shipment status.
- Information of the route.
What is the EDI X12 214 Format?
The following example demonstrates the different data elements and segments that are found within this transaction set:
ISA*00* *00* *02*SCAC *01*006922827HUH1 *080903*1132*U*00401*000010067*0*P*>~ GS*QM*SCAC*006922827HUH1*20080903*1132*9951*X*004010~
N3*5566 NEW VIENNA ROAD~
N3*100 HIGGENSON AVE~
What is the EDI 214 Specification?
The X12 Transaction Set contains the data contents of an EDI 214 Transportation Carrier Shipment Status Message. This transaction set can be sent by transportation carriers to shippers and consignees to provide them with details regarding shipment dates, times, locations, and routes.
Benefits of Using an EDI 214 Transaction Set
There are multiple benefits from both perspectives. For sellers:
- It helps them notify buyers of the status of their shipment.
- It allows them to verify details against other documents before paying.
- It enables senders to monitor the performance of the logistics company by comparing the actual delivery date vs. the expected date.
For logistic companies:
- It allows them to recognize payments quickly by providing timely updates.
- It assists in building trust with suppliers.
Workflow for the Exchange of an EDI 214
An EDI 214 document is used to update the status of a shipment at key intervals. A carrier will usually send this document at departure and arrival at the destination. They also use it to inform sellers about transportation delays.
Using this transaction set, shippers can easily match the details of the bill of lading and PO number on the EDI 210 transaction document sent by the carrier. Moreover, upon receiving this document, an EDI 997 Functional Acknowledgement is sent as a confirmation.
Automate Data Exchange with EDIConnect
Astera EDIConnect is a powerful solution designed to facilitate seamless B2B data exchange between different systems. This advanced platform eliminates obstacles by providing a code-free environment, enabling effortless collaboration. It offers a unified interface that encompasses the entire EDI journey, starting from extracting data sources to translating, generating acknowledgments, verifying, and transmitting data to the intended destination.
With its user-friendly drag-and-drop interface, even individuals without technical expertise can easily customize transactions, segments, elements, and validations.
EDIConnect helps users by:
- Empowering them to effortlessly create complex and hierarchical EDI transactions using a visual interface.
- Supporting a broad range of EDI standards, including ANSI X12, HIPAA, and EDIFACT, ensuring compatibility across various industries.
- Conducting thorough checks on files to ensure adherence to both standard and customized validation rules established for each trading partner.
- Efficiently handling large volumes of EDI files, regardless of their complexity, optimizing the overall process.
- Automating workflows by utilizing job scheduling capabilities, reducing the need for manual intervention, and enhancing operational efficiency.